The Emmaus Series for Catholic School Leaders
Leaders ◆ Learners ◆ Companions
The Emmaus Series is a powerful leadership development program for Catholic school principals and heads of schools.
Effective leaders for today's Catholic schools demand an aptitude in 3 dynamic areas: spiritual leadership, academic leadership, and business management. The Emmaus Series offers leaders quality training and targeted support in order to deepen their knowledge of these areas, investigate the systems that influence these areas, and introduce change ideas to improve the overall effectiveness of their schools. The Emmaus Series supports Catholic school leaders who want to make their schools’ mission and vision a tangible, sustainable reality.
This enterprising professional development experience is comprised of retreats, workshops, webinars, and mentoring over a
20-month period. Participating leaders benefit from the Emmaus Series’ utilization of the National Standards and Benchmarks for Effective Catholic Elementary and Secondary Schools and key partnerships within Boston College’s Lynch School of Education, the School of Theology and Ministry, and the Carroll School of Management.
Designing for school improvement, participants will be coached to:
• Deepen Catholicity in all areas of school life
• Lead a mission-driven school
• Develop a change management team to support improvement
• Apply the National Standards and Benchmarks for Effective Elementary and Secondary Catholic Schools and resources
• Implement improved business practices to their non-profit organization
• Develop effective professional learning communities and networks for faculty and staff
• Actualize the potential of diversity in the learning community
• Discover the power of the gifts of Ignatian spirituality
• Connect with a national supportive peer leadership network
Participants will excel as effective leaders of irresistible Catholic schools by the completion of the 20-month program.
Emmaus Series Objectives
Over the 20-month program, participants will receive formative professional development in 3 core areas. Training in these areas is structured on the National Standards and Benchmarks for Effective Catholic Elementary and Secondary Schools.
Emmaus participants receive significant quality information to fortify key areas of their leadership. The central leadership objectives for each area are as follows:
1. Spiritual Leadership: Inspiring the school community with leadership that demonstrates an on-going effort to align the joy of the Gospel with all aspects of school life, an uplifting fluency of the Catholic faith, a visible and measurable commitment to the mission of the school, and a consistent investment to the faith growth of all community members.
2. Curriculum and Instructional Design: Leading a professional and pastoral process of evaluating and encouraging teacher growth, facilitating meaningful assessments of school-wide learning, identifying and allocating effective resources to improve student learning, organizing and scheduling student and teacher learning time to achieve student growth goals.
3. Business Management: Empowering an administrative team to manage daily operations, modeling contemporary communications effectively, championing adaptive planning and data-informed decision making for actions involving school finances, facilities, marketing and enrollment, institutional advancement, and personnel.